Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Gardening comments

Thank you very much for all of your comments regarding my gardening posts.
I am pleased that you like these and I thank everyone for their kind comments about the state of my garden.

I would like to explain for the non UK readers that the 'garden' that I have been posting about is what we call an allotment in the UK. I have seen these in France as well, but I do not think it is a very wide spread international custom.
An allotment is usually a small piece of land, owned by the local council and rented out to local residents at a peppercorn rent - mine is £5 p.a.!!. These pieces of land are usually parceled up into small lots of about 20 feet by 60 feet primarily for the cultivation of vegetables.

It is this allotment which is in the village less than a quarter of a mile from my house that I have been posting about. My real garden which is part of the property on which my house is built, with the exception of a small greenhouse in which I rear some of my seedlings that are destined for the allotment, is totally reserved for my flowers and shrubs and is somewhere that I can relax.

No comments: